Advocacy is one of the Greater KW Chamber of Commerce’s four pillars and now it is of tremendous importance. The Chamber continues to advocate on behalf of the business community as we hear about their challenges and concerns. We want to hear from you! If you have any questions, concerns, or are experiencing challenges during the COVID-19 outbreak, please contact Art Sinclair, Vice President of Public Policy and Advocacy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to our own advocacy efforts, the Greater Kitchener Waterloo Chamber of Commerce is also a member of Business and Economic Support Team of Waterloo Region (BESTWR). This initiative is a partnership between the Waterloo EDC, the Greater Kitchener Waterloo Chamber of Commerce, Communitech, the Cambridge Chamber of Commerce, as well as all seven area municipalities in our region. The goal of BESTWR is to help all types of local businesses cope with the challenges caused by COVID-19. Some of the great work that BESTWR has done throughout the pandemic includes advocating on behalf of businesses to all levels of government:
- Op-Ed: Hold the Line to Get Through Dark Winter, Waterloo Region Business Leaders Urge, published by The Waterloo Record on December 4, 2020
- Op-Ed: Smart, Targeted Approach the Right One for Second Wave, published by The Waterloo Record on October 8, 2020
- Op-Ed: Governments Owned the COVID-19 Crisis, But We All Need to Own the Recovery, published by The Waterloo Record on June 24, 2020
- Op-Ed: Government Urged to Prepare for Second Economic Wave of COVID-19, published by The Waterloo Record on April 27, 2020. This Op-Ed was based on a letter that BESTWR sent to the Prime Minister and Premier of Ontario on April 23, 2020 to advocate on behalf of businesses.
- Op-Ed: Responding to COVID-19 Requires Unprecedented and Urgent Government Support, published by The Waterloo Record on March 26, 2020. This Op-Ed was based on a letter that Communitech, the Cambridge Chamber of Commerce, Waterloo EDC, and the GKWCC sent to the Prime Minister and Premier on Ontario on March 25, 2020 outlining recommendations to help better support businesses.