COVID-19 Resources for your Business
As the situation with COVID-19 Coronavirus continues to rapidly change globally and locally, the Greater KW Chamber of Commerce is closely monitoring the developments closely. We have collected information and resources that may be helpful to you and your business during this extremely difficult time.
Following advice from Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, Ontario is reducing the list of essential businesses classified as essential and ordering more workplaces to close. The government is ordering all businesses not covered by the updated list of essential workplaces to close effective as of Saturday April 4, 2020 at 11:59pm. Business-owners with questions concerning their essential business status are encouraged to call the Stop the Spread hotline at 1-888-444-3659. The hotline is available from 8:30 a.m.― 9:00 p.m. Monday to Friday and 8:30 a.m.— 5:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
We want to hear from you! Please complete our survey and provide us with feedback on your business’ experiences and challenges during COVID-19.
Up to date information can be found at:
Prepare Your Business
prepare your business
There are several resources available that can help you prepare your business during this very challenging time.
- Business Owners: Register on the CRA MY Business Account to provide direct deposit information and speed up the process of receiving relief when it is available.
- The Federal Finance Minister provided more information about the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy, which will provider eligible employers with a 75% wage subsidy for up to 12 weeks, retroactive to March 15, 2020
- Additional Support for Canadian Businesses from the Economic Impact of COVID-19 – the Federal Government announced a number of measures to provide financial assistance to Canada’s small and medium-sized businesses.
- Region of Waterloo Coordinating Emergency Child Care for Critical Service Workers – A 24/7 temporary emergency child care program for parents who provide critical services in our community is being launched. Please visit the website for a list of eligible workers, the online application form, and other information.
- WSIB Financial Relief Package
- Ontario’s Action Plan: Responding to COVID-19
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan: Support for Canadians and Businesses, Government of Canada
- Canada Business App – download to find tailored supports to address your specific needs and questions about COVID-19
- Work Sharing Program – temporary measures for the downturn in business due to COVID-19. For more information, call the toll-free number 1-800-367-5693
- EI Sickness Benefits – the one-week waiting period will be waived for new claimants. Those who are eligible can apply online.
- Emergency Support Benefit – introduced to support workers who are not eligible for EI and who are facing unemployment. We will share details on how to apply once they are available.
- Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) and Export Development Canada (EDC) – providing more than $10 billion of additional financial support largely targeted to small and medium-sized businesses through the Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP)
- Temporary Wage Subsidy – introduced to support businesses that are facing revenue losses and to help prevent lay-offs. Please visit the Temporary Wage Subsidy for Employers FAQs for more information.
- Bank of Canada – took a series of actions to enhance the resilience of the Canadian financial system and help ensure that financial institutions can continue to extend credit to households and businesses, including cutting the interest rate to 0.75%.
- Income Tax Deferral – businesses have until August 31, 2020 to pay any income tax payments that become owing between March 18, 2020 – September 2020.
- Farm Credit Canada will receive increased funds to assist farmers
COVID-19 is affecting businesses globally, which is creating uncertainty. For export/trade resources, please see below:
There are a number of resources available to help you, your staff, their families, and the community stay safe during this COVID-19 pandemic:
- Cleaning and Disinfection for Public Settings, Public Health Ontario
- How to Self-monitor poster, Public Health Ontario
- How to Self-isolate poster, Public Health Ontario
- Help Stop the Spread of Germs poster, Region of Waterloo Public Health
- Know the Difference: Self-monitoring, Self-isolation, and Isolation for COVID-19, Public Health Agency of Canada
- COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool, Region of Waterloo Public Health
- COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool, Ontario Ministry of Health
- COVID-19 Symptom Self-Assessment Tool, Government of Canada
- What You Need to Know to Help You and Your Family Stay Healthy poster, Ontario Ministry of Health
- What is Social Distancing?, Region of Waterloo Public Health
- Coronavirus Resources for Workplaces, Region of Waterloo Public Health
- COVID-19 Guidance for Food Premises
- COVID-19 Guidance for Personal Service Setting
- COVID-19: What You Need to You, Ontario Medical Association
- Social Distancing and Social Isolation for Home & Community, Ontario Medical Association
Mental Health Resources
Mental Health Resources
COVID-19 is having a significant impact on every aspect of our lives. The uncertainty of the rapidly changing situation is causing an increase in stress for many and ensuring that we are taking care of our mental health is as important as caring for our physical health. We have put together some mental health resources that may be helpful for you and your staff:
- Ontario Joins Forces with the Private Sector to Fight COVID-19 – April 1, 2020
- Ontario Extends School and Child Care Closures to Fight Spread of COVID-19 – March 31, 2020
- Province Supports Postsecondary Students During COVID-19 – March 31, 2020
- Ontario Stepping Up Measures to Limit the Spread of COVID-19 on Construction Sites – March 29, 2020
- Ontario Enabling Financial Relief for Businesses– March 26, 2020
- Ontario’s Action Plan: Responding to COVID-19 – March 25, 2020
- Stop the Spread Business Information Line Now Open at 1-888-444-3659– March 25, 2020
- Ontario Providing Electricity Relief to Families, Small Businesses and Farms During COVID-19– March 24, 2020
- Ontario List of Essential Workplaces– March 23, 2020
- Ontario Closing At-Risk Workplaces to Protect Health and Safety– March 23, 2020
- Ontario Orders the Mandatory Closure of All Non-Essential Workplaces to Fight Spread of COVID-19– March 23, 2020
- Ontario government is helping students learn from the safety of their own home while schools are closed– March 20, 2020
- Employment Standards Amendment Act (Infectious Disease Emergencies) 2020, Government of Ontario– March 19, 2020
- Ontario Enacts Declaration of Emergency to Protect the Public– March 17, 2020
Can Your Business Help?
CAN YOUR BUSINESS HELP?
Both the Provincial and Federal governments are requesting the assistance of businesses and organizations who are able to help support the response to COVID-19.
- The Provincial Government has launched a new $50 million Ontario Together Fund that will support the development of essential equipment and supplies. This fund will support those businesses who can provide innovative solutions or retool their operations in order to manufacture essential medical supplies and equipment, including gowns, coveralls, masks, face shields, testing equipment and ventilators. Interested businesses can submit their proposals through the Ontario Together web portal.
- The Ontario Government has launched Ontario Together: Help Fight Coronavirus and would like to hear from businesses and organizations who can supply emergency products and innovative solutions to support the COVID-19 response.
NEXT GENERATION MANUFACTURING CANADA (NGen)
- Next Generation Manufacturing Canada (NGen) announced $50 million in Supercluster funding to support companies as they rapidly respond to the COVID-19 pandemic by building a Canadian supply of essential equipment, products, and therapeutics. Please visit the NGen website for more information.
- Earlier this week, our Chamber along with our partners Communitech, the Cambridge Chamber of Commerce, and Waterloo EDC sent a letter to the Prime Minister and Premier on Ontario, outlining recommendations to help better support businesses. We were pleased with the federal government’s response today as they are acting on several of the recommendations in that letter. These measures are important for our local business community, as well as businesses across the province and country. The Prime Minister indicated today that more information about these programs would be available on Monday. As those details become available, we will share it through our updates and on our website.
- As a follow up to the letter that was sent to the Prime Minister and Premier of Ontario earlier this week, an op-ed was published by the Waterloo Region Record online yesterday and in print today.
- The creation of the Business and Economic Support Team of Waterloo Region (BESTWR) announced to help all types of local businesses cope with the challenges caused by COVID-19.
CHAMBER MEMBER PROMOTIONS & UPDATES
During this time, if you are a Chamber member and your business has any special offers, updates, or resources you would like shared with our membership, we want to know! Fill out this short form with your update and we will compile submissions onto our website and share on our social media channels.