The Chamber Is Hiring An Events Coordinator
The Greater Kitchener-Waterloo Chamber of Commerce (GKWCC) provides strong, continued
service to over 1600 members in one of Canada’s marquee pioneering and entrepreneurial
business communities. For the past 131 years, dating back to the Chamber’s founding as the
Berlin Board of Trade, we have expanded into one of the largest and most innovative Chambers
in Canada by focusing on the needs of all our members, big and small. For more information,
please visit greaterkwchamber.com.
About the Role
The GKWCC is seeking an Events Coordinator who is responsible for organizing their own
portfolio of events within the Chamber’s annual event calendar, supporting volunteer
committees, executing day-to-day administrative tasks of the Events Department, and working
alongside a team to deliver successful, high caliber events and positive guest experiences.
- Event Planning
- With the guidance of the Events Manager, coordinate and execute high quality events that fall within your event portfolio (typically the networking event series). You will also assist the Event Manager with the coordination and execution of their event portfolio (typically Signature/Premier events).
- Execute virtual, hybrid, and/or live events (we won’t be moving back to the live
event format until safely recommended by public health).
- Book and coordinate all venue logistics (physical venue spaces and/or virtual
- Assist in booking keynote speakers and panelists, providing them with full event
details, and content direction.
- Determine event agendas and write event scripts.
- Liaise with all vendors and suppliers needed to successfully execute event (i.e. –
production, décor, food & beverage, entertainment, etc.), which may include
confirming event needs, contract review, and/or negotiation.
- Greet and assist all event attendees including dignitaries, VIP’s, and/or high profile guests.
- Compile and send out all pre, during, and post event communication to
attendees, speakers, exhibitors, sponsors, and any other key stakeholders.
- Prioritize the health and safety of all guests, staff/volunteers, and vendors.
- Create event wrap-up reports, debriefs, and thank you emails.
- Provide invoices to Event Manager for processing.
- Administrative Tasks
- To ensure the department runs smoothly, day-to-day administrative tasks will need to be performed.
- Reply to event-related email & phone inquiries in a timely manner.
- Update internal event calendar.
- Update internal tracking documents and budgets, as required.
- Provide general support to Events Manager, as required.
- Marketing & Communications
- Work closely with the Marketing Team to promote Chamber events.
- Create and/or provide direction for event promotional materials.
- Provide content direction for e-blasts.
- Update website with all event details and ticket sales.
- Write blog posts and/or media releases.
- Provide event details, photos, video content, and contest options to Marketing
Team to be highlighted in social media content.
- Provide articles and event communications for The Advocate, and/or other
publications, as required.
- Coordinate on-site photographers, videographers, and media at live events.
- Sales & Sponsorship
- Work with the Sponsorship and Sales Teams to successfully deliver on sponsor commitments for all events, while exceeding their expectations.
- Build and manage relationships with partners and event attendees to help
generate leads for Sales/Sponsorship.
- Identify future sponsorship opportunities for existing events.
- Introduce new ways to incorporate and support members in our event
- Generate event ticket sales among members and future members.
- Make monthly membership retention calls.
- Volunteer Committees
- Assist in leading and supporting volunteer committees (4-6 total). Volunteer Committees are made of dedicated Chamber Members who help plan events.
- Schedule and attend all committee meetings.
- Prepare agendas and minutes pre/post meetings and respond to any
communication from volunteers outside of scheduled meetings.
- Assist in recruiting and retaining volunteers on committees.
- Update Committee mandates annually, and ensure all members receive,
understand, and agree to the policies.
- Support volunteer appreciation initiatives.
- Other Duties as Assigned
- As you would expect, the Events Industry is unpredictable and requires you to adapt to many different situations at a moment’s notice. As such, there are always “other duties” that come up unexpectedly that you should be prepared for.
- Top-notch organization: You love lists, colour coding, and calendar invites. You can
meet deadlines and achieve outcomes even when there are numerous other priorities
and distractions. You’re extremely attentive, thorough, adaptable, and focus on the little
- Experience in a fast-paced environment: You are willing to tackle projects
independently and push through until the job is done. You’re an exceptional multitasker, and a self-starter with the ability to take initiative and ownership of your
- Excellent communicator: You keep everyone informed and can do so efficiently,
effectively, and professionally – in written and verbal. You’re also empathetic and
enthusiastic and feel comfortable socializing with people you may not know. You’re
excited at the opportunity to expand your network and build relationships within the
- Thrive under pressure: You stay calm, approachable, and in control during stressful
situations, by focusing on the solution, not the problem. As this is a customer-facing role
you may face some negative feedback and criticisms.
- Leader, not a follower: You’re innovative and think outside the box. You enjoy pushing
the limit (creatively), and set trends, not just follow them.
- Tech Savvy: You are comfortable adapting to new forms of technology and using various
platforms (social media, video communications, virtual events, etc.). You are also
proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Support Local: You make regular trips to the corner bakery, participate in #KWAwesome
community groups on social media, and generally enjoy supporting Waterloo Region
- Helpful, but not required: Experience in photography, videography, video editing, live
productions, graphic design, project management, and/or public speaking.
If this sounds like you, or what you’re striving to obtain, then please apply. We look forward to
learning more about you and what you could bring to this role. If you have read this far, please
mention Unicorns somewhere in your application.
To Apply: Please send your application to Carolyn Marsh, Events Manager at
email@example.com by end of day Monday, May 31, 2021.
*When applying, please provide a resume, and either a cover letter or 60-second self-introduction video.
- Remote Interviews – Round 1 (45 mins): Candidates who are selected to move forward
in the application process will be contacted to set-up an initial remote interview on June
3rd, 4th, or 7th
- Remote Interviews – Round 2 (30 mins): Candidates who are selected to move forward
from the first round of remote interviews will continue with a 2nd remote interview,
where they will meet with additional members of the GKWCC team. These interviews
will occur on June 9th, and 10th
- Reference Calls: Final candidates will be asked to share 3 professional/character
references. If we choose to reach out to the references, the 10-minute reference calls
will be made on June 11th
- Start Date: The successful candidate will start on or around June 28th.
If the above timelines change in any way, we will let candidates know as soon as possible. We thank all candidates who apply, however, only those who make it to the first round of remote interviews will be contacted.
Type of Position: Full time, Permanent
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm, with a 30-minute paid lunch for a total of
37.5 hours each week. Evenings/early mornings will be required based on event schedule.
Travel: Currently remote, but occasional travel required around Waterloo Region to event
venues and/or scheduled pick-ups and deliveries of supplies and donations from partners.
When we return to live events, increased travel across the Region will be required. Mileage will
be reimbursed for work-related activities, but you must have a valid driver’s license and access
to a reliable vehicle.
Compensation: $38,000 – $41,000 annually, plus benefits.
- Healthcare including dental and vision plan, as well as an EAP program, which all starts 3
months into employment.
- RRSP matching, which starts 3 months into employment.
- 2 weeks’ vacation + stat holidays + lieu time for hours earned for events.
- Monthly staff lunches + monthly half-day Friday (while working remote).
- Professional Development opportunities.
- Parking included.
- How many events does the GKWCC host?
- Our calendar of events changes each year based on the needs of our members, but we often host around 90+ events annually, including approximately 5 Series, and an additional 10 Premier/Signature events.
- How does the GKWCC host events during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Since April 2021, we have successfully been hosting all our event programs virtually through multiple platforms, but most commonly using Hopin.
- Who will I be working with?
- You will work in the Events Department with Carolyn Marsh, Events Manager. All team members at the Chamber report directly to Ian McLean, President & CEO. You will also work very closely with our Sponsorship, Sales, and Marketing Teams. If you get further in the process, you will have the opportunity to virtually meet several of these team members.
- Is your team currently remote? Will this stay remote long term?
- We are currently operating remotely due to COVID-19, and don’t anticipate returning to the office until early-mid 2022. The GKWCC office is located at 80 Queen St. N., Kitchener, ON. Staff parking is provided. Prior to returning to the office, some off-site work may be required at venues, or pick-ups needed around Waterloo Region. We do have strict pandemic protocols in place and abide by all recommendations made by health and government officials.
- What should I do if I have a question not yet answered?
The Greater Kitchener Waterloo Chamber of Commerce believes that everyone is free to be their true self
and receive the same respect and opportunity, regardless of ethnicity, gender, culture, identity, sexual
orientation, age, beliefs, language, or disability. We have an inclusive work environment that is a safe
and welcoming space for all and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates. If you require
accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.