Job Posting: Events & Marketing Coordinator
The Greater Kitchener-Waterloo Chamber of Commerce (GKWCC) provides strong, continued service to over 1600 members in one of Canada’s marquee pioneering and entrepreneurial business communities. For the past 136 years, dating back to the Chamber’s founding as the Berlin Board of Trade, we have expanded into one of the largest and most innovative Chambers in Canada by focusing on the needs of all our members, big and small. For more information, please visit greaterkwchamber.com.
About the Role
The GKWCC is seeking an Events & Marketing Coordinator who is responsible for organizing their own portfolio of virtual events within the Chamber’s annual event calendar, executing day-to-day administrative tasks of the Events Department, and working alongside a team to deliver successful, high caliber virtual & hybrid events and positive guest experiences.
Virtual Event Planning
- With the guidance of the Events Manager, coordinate and execute high quality virtual event experiences and lead the production/streaming/digital-focused aspects of live & hybrid events.
- Create and customize all virtual platform logistics (using Hopin, Streamyard, and/or Zoom).
- Assist in booking keynote speakers and panelists, providing them with full event details, and content direction.
- Determine event agendas and write event scripts.
- Conduct tech tests with speakers, sponsors, and exhibitors prior to event.
- Compile and send out all pre-, during, and post-event communication to attendees, speakers, exhibitors, sponsors, and any other key stakeholders.
- Successfully execute and produce every virtual event, and/or lead the production/streaming requirements for every live/hybrid event.
- Reply to event-related email & phone inquiries in a timely manner.
- Compile and review event analytics to gauge the event successes and opportunities for growth.
- Create event wrap-up reports, debriefs, feedback surveys, and thank you emails.
- Edit video content following event (using PowerDirector 365), and upload to YouTube and share with event attendees.
- Provide invoices to Event Manager for processing.
Marketing & Communications
- Work closely with the Marketing Team to promote Chamber events.
- Facilitate the creation of event promotional materials with the Graphic Designer (and execute some basic graphic design work internally as required)
- Create and send-out bi-weekly Events E-Blast.
- Update website with all event details and ticket sales.
- Provide event details, photos, video content, and contest options to Marketing Team to be highlighted in social media content.
- Coordinate on-site photographers, videographers, and media at live events.
Sales & Sponsorship
- Work with the Sponsorship and Sales teams to successfully deliver on sponsor commitments for all virtual events
- Identify future sponsorship opportunities for existing virtual events.
- Introduce new ways to incorporate and support members in our virtual event programs.
- Generate virtual event ticket sales among members and future members.
- Make monthly membership retention calls.
Other duties as Assigned
- As you would expect, the Events Industry is unpredictable and requires you to adapt to many different situations at a moment’s notice. As such, there are always “other duties” that come up unexpectedly that you should be prepared for.
- Tech Savvy: You are comfortable adapting to new forms of technology and using various platforms (social media, video communications, virtual events, etc.). You are proficient in Microsoft Office and have at least a basic knowledge or interest in photography, videography, video editing, live productions, and/or graphic design.
- Exceptional organization: You love lists, colour coding, and calendar invites. You can meet deadlines and achieve outcomes even when there are numerous other priorities and distractions. You’re extremely attentive, thorough, adaptable, and focus on the little details.
- Experience in a fast-paced environment: You are willing to tackle projects independently and push through until the job is done. You’re an exceptional multi-tasker, and a self-starter with the ability to take initiative and ownership of your responsibilities.
- Excellent communicator: You keep everyone informed and can do so efficiently, effectively, and professionally – in written and verbal. You’re also empathetic and enthusiastic and feel comfortable socializing with people you may not know. You’re excited at the opportunity to expand your network and build relationships within the community.
- Support Local: You make regular trips to the corner bakery, participate in #KWAwesome community groups on social media, and generally enjoy supporting Waterloo Region business owners.
- Marketing experience: You have experience with promoting events, which may include the use of social media, digital newsletters, and updating websites.
If this sounds like you, or what you’re striving to obtain, then please apply. We look forward to learning more about you and what you could bring to this role.
To Apply: Please send your application to Allison Mitchell at email@example.com by end of day Friday June 10, 2022. When applying, please provide a resume, and either a cover letter or 60-second self-introduction video.
Next Steps: We thank all candidates who apply, however, only those who make it to the first round of remote interviews will be contacted. Following the remote interviews, final candidates will be asked to share 3 professional references. The successful candidate will start early to mid- July 2022.
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm, with a 30-minute paid lunch for a total of 37.5 hours each week. Evenings/early mornings will be required based on event schedule.
Travel: Hybrid work environment, with minimum 2 days per week in-office (80 Queen St. N., Kitchener), with additional travel required around Waterloo Region to event venues and/or scheduled pick-ups and deliveries of supplies and donations from partners. Mileage will be reimbursed for work-related activities, but this role requires a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
Compensation: $36,000 – $38,000 annually, plus benefits.
- Healthcare including dental and vision plan, as well as an EAP program, which all starts 3 months into employment.
- RRSP matching, which starts 3 months into employment.
- 2 weeks’ vacation + stat holidays + lieu time for hours earned for events.
- Monthly staff lunches + monthly half-day Friday (subject to change)
- Flexible hybrid work model.
- Professional Development opportunities.
- Parking included.
- How many events does the GKWCC host? Our calendar of events changes each year based on the needs of our members, but we often host around 90+ events annually.
- How does the GKWCC host virtual events? Since April 2020, we have successfully been hosting all our event programs virtually through multiple platforms, but most commonly using Hopin. https://hopin.com/. As we transition back to live/hybrid events, we continue to use Hopin to offer flexibility to our members and event attendees.
- Who will I be working with? You will work in the Events Department with Carolyn Marsh, Events Manager and Mhari Reid, Events Coordinator. All team members at the Chamber report directly to Ian McLean, President & CEO. You will also work very closely with our Sponsorship, Sales, and Marketing Teams. If you get further in the process, you will have the opportunity to virtually meet several of these team members.
- Is your team currently remote? Will this stay remote long term? We will be operating on a Hybrid Work Model, with a minimum of 2 days in-office each week (primarily Tuesdays & Thursdays, although in-office days are subject to change). The GKWCC office is located at 80 Queen St. N., Kitchener, ON. Staff parking is provided. We do have strict safety protocols in place (including: mask mandate, vaccine verification, and symptom self-screening), and abide by all recommendations made by health and government officials.
- What should I do if I have a question not yet answered? Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
The Greater Kitchener Waterloo Chamber of Commerce believes that everyone is free to be their true self and receive the same respect and opportunity, regardless of ethnicity, gender, culture, identity, sexual orientation, age, beliefs, language, or disability. We have an inclusive work environment that is a safe and welcoming space for all and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please email email@example.com.